Apple has been making some serious changes in their iDevices to keep the intruders out. The intruders – like Dev Teams, MuscleNerd, PlanetBeing and added more recently, the Evad3rs – have been very successful in trampling over Apple’s expectations and releasing jailbreaks by exploiting iOS’s vulnerabilities. Brutal. Brutal indeed. But still, all of us get to enjoy the best of both worlds due to their ongoing cat-and-mouse games. Apple hitting the Gurus and the Gurus coming back with a bang. It cant get any better then this.
Apple released iOS 6.1 earlier today and it didn’t take much time for the iPhone Dev-Team to hit Apple with a hammer by releasing Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 just a while ago. Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 jailbreaks all pre-A5 iGadgets and is not compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 3 etc. All pre-A5 iDevices running iOS 6.1 can be jailbroken through the latest release of Redsn0w. This is, however, a tethered jailbreak, meaning that every time you switch your iDevice off, you will have to connect it with your PC and run Redsn0w again, in order for it to work. If you are looking for an Untethered jailbreak for iPhone 5 and the newer iDevices, we suggest you wait till Sunday ;)
Note: Before we begin, we must tell you again that this is a TETHERED JAILBREAK and only compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 3gS and iPod 4th Gen running iOS 6.1.
To begin jailbreaking your iDevice please follow the steps below:
1. Upgrade your iDevice to iOS 6.1 which is now publicly available for all users or download it to your PC by clicking on the link below.
3. Download iOS 6.0 by clicking on the link below. The reason being that Redsn0w can’t recognise iOS 6.1 as yet and we hoping for the Dev-Team to fix this bug with an update.
4. Connect your iDevice to your PC and place it in the DFU mode.
5. Launch Redsn0w and click on Extras –> select IPSW — click on iOS 6 which you downloaded in step 3. Redsn0w should now recognise your IPSW and your device.
6. Head back to the main screen of Redsn0w and hit the Jailbreak button. Make sure you have ticked on the box next to Install Cydia. Redsn0w should now get cracking and after a while your phone/ipod will come to life.
7. After you have successfully jailbroken your iDevice, select the “Autoboot this device when it connects in DFU mode” option.
To Boot in Tethered Mode:
This is a tethered jailbreak, hence, your iDevice needs to be booted in a jailbroken state every time it reboots/switches off. For that, it requires to be connected to the PC using Redsn0w, click on Extras –> select “Just Boot“.
The new untethered jailbreak is going to be released on Sunday hopefully and is expected to work for all iOS devices. We will keep you updated on it. Until then you can enjoy jailbreaking your pre-A5 device with this tutorial.
Download iOS 6 and iOS 6.1 by clicking on this link. The website consists of all iOS firmware downloads and you can download your required iOS by selecting your iDevice on the drop-down menu and hitting download.